Monday, August 4, 2008

It's 107 degrees, work got you up at 4:30 AM, Let's MOVE FURNITURE!


Sunday morning at 4:30 AM, my work woke me up with a production problem. Just one of the many hazards of working in data processing. Except this was a big problem, 30 million rows of data, screwed up. It took until almost 6 AM just to get it recovered. And I then had to get the original job started back up with some changes, and hope it worked! By 7:30, it was past the prior blow-up point, so I decided to head on to church. I was planning to return from church, eat lunch, head to the mall to purchase a birthday gift for the wife. And then NAP away the heat of the afternoon. But then our high school daughter called up with a deal that was too good to pass up. Her boyfriend's family was giving away a solid oak entertainment center, with the 64 inch big-screen TV included! The catch? It was upstairs AND it needed to be moved that afternoon. How hard could it be? Surely I'd still get to nap around 4? Right? I can set the oven to come on by itself and start the potato's and meat loaf planned for dinner? Right. Moving all that furniture down their THREE landing staircase, and then into the 107 degree heat afternoon. Oh, and we needed to move our OLD entertainment center. The one with 200 records (33 RPM's), the one with about 50 car show awards stacked on it, the one with 50 CD's stacked on it, the one with our 1981 Sony Trinitron on it (the broken one). At least daughter and her boyfriend volunteered to move all that! So, it took five of us to get this stuff down and loaded into three pick-up trucks and over to our house. By then, it was almost 5 PM. I hooked up the cable box and the TV and decided to sit and stare at it.
I felt like the Blues Brothers movie when Elwood (Dan Aykroyd) says "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." "Hit it".
Really do thank the family for letting us have this stuff.
I think I'll watch the chase part of Blues Brothers.....

No comments: